We are currently working on finding a curriculum for the girls’ school. The virtual academy we have been with for the last couple years has been nice, but it is not working. Too much of the girls’ time is spent preparing for testing, and not enough comprehensive learning is happening. They are bored, getting their work done so that it is done. I want my girls to love learning as much as I do. I want them to look forward to new subjects, to be able to take extra time on that which captures their interest. and to not know the “rules of standardized test taking” better than the rules of handwriting.
So it is time, we are going to what some would call a “traditional home school” set-up in our home. The curriculum that our school had was fairly good, I know we will miss much of it. The cost of purchasing it, however, is out of the question. Hence, it is the season for curriculum. What to do for kindergarten? Has it really been only four years since we last did K? How does time go so fast and what did we do that worked that first year? Where should I start at with writing (a subject I feel they are weak on) the grade level they will be in (fifth) or the first so that they do not miss out on anything in the earlier levels? Which math? Latin would be nice, but how to fit it in with everything else. So many questions, and that is just the beginning. We are starting to fine-tune a plan. It consumes many of my thoughts.
Speaking of thoughts. We have decided to list our home and move, though we are still staying in the same city. That plus curriculum and I feel like my brain has been stretched to its limit. Thankfully, I am wrong and there are still cells firing strong when it comes time to cook dinner, can jelly, or settle a sisterly spat. More on the house later as it is a post of its own.
Other random thoughts:
- 12 days until we are on a beach taking in a bit of
therapysunshine after the long winter…us used loosely as it’s just the girls and I on a trip with my mom and her mom (hooray for grandmas!)
- daylight savings time messes with me something awful, I still feel a bit off
- between the last post and this we came down with what I call the coughing crud around here. It was a 2 week-long illness that knocked you flat and when you finally did come out of it a bit, you had a cough that would not stop. So glad the last one of us is on the tail end of it.
- we now have a cat with a bum eye to add to our home (and not, the three-legged dog was not fond at first, but they seem to have worked out a peace agreement in the mean time.)
- God is so good, all the time…even when I do not see it, looking back I see His hand!
- warm dirt and fresh veggies are in my not too distant future