First off, I frustrate myself. The batteries died in my camera, simple enough. We are out of batteries, not uncommon. I go to the store this weekend and leave without the batteries that were ON MY LIST! I frustrate myself. I wanted to take pictures of and share a couple dresses. So please pardon me this one (okay, second) time that I am posting photos off of my cell phone!
First is one of the twins in a dress my mom made. Bright, fun, flexible for winter, fall, or even into spring. It’s a lightweight corduroy, so I doubt we will wear it in the summer. It’s big enough that I am betting it will still be around in the fall as well…petite little boogers.
Isn’t it a cute one! Not quite the clean lines and simple (read easy) style I usually make. Thanks mom for being a better sewer than I am and for making great clothes for my kids!
I have to share one of my favorites she ever made for the older two, just so I could include a real photo. These were flower girl dresses (summer 2007) and I still have them for the twins to wear at Easter or Christmas or something down the road, they are so pretty!
See, my mom is a great seamstress! I have so much to learn.
That brings me to this next piece. A bit of background here. I have been reading a good bit lately about recycled fashion. People are making great outfits out of cast-aside garments that have lots of wear left in them. I wanted to give it a try. I started with a black turtleneck sweater that I’ve been holding onto since before the twins were with us. It had a big logo on the neck for a company I represented. I no longer represent them and I had purchased the sweater too big. It has hung in my closet for a long time because “it had hardly been worn” and “surely, I can do something with it.” Well, I finally got the scissors out and did it! Here is the end result:
Again, pardon the phone photo and really, black is hard to photograph anyways, isn’t it?
It was so easy and took literally 30 minutes (minus the cute logo-covering felt applique.) I simply turned the shirt inside out and put it on my girl. Liz is the fashionista and was more than happy to oblige. I marked where her armpits were and pinned it up above the shoulders so the neckline would fit her okay. Took it off, cut the sleeves off completely, started at the bottom side seems, sewed a straight line up to her pit and then turned and went to the old arm holes. I finished it off by slicing open the turtleneck and lettuce edging all the, well, edges. It looks so cute in person. I can see her pairing it with leggings in the spring as well as with the jeans she choose this day. The belt she found matches the applique perfect. Here’s the applique so you can see my mad hand-sewing skills (ha! I have a lot to learn, this part took me an hour!!!)
Jane picked this out after a flickr browsing session. Click here for her inspiration, it’s so much prettier than what we came up with. I have so much to learn when it comes to hand-sewing and embroidery. These wool felt pieces were part of scrap bags I ordered from Weir Doll and Craft, nice bags if anyone is in the market for them.
The next upcycled project I am going to make will be from a couple wool sweaters I am felting right now. A summer-sky blue skirt for Jane and jumpers for the twins. In my free time, that is.
Read Full Post »